Wednesday, March 14, 2012

LONG STUDY TOUR March 3-8


The ferry ride from Denmark to Germany.
Sign from ferry ride - Not totally clear on where they are going with this.
Historical Speicherstadt in Hafencity, Hamburg Germany
View of Hafencity. Same view from which we built the model.
Said model.
I said, "pose like a rock band." Somehow they heard "pose like you are at Olan Mills". Kasey, Mehnaz and Susie in the Hamburg train station.










My professor standing outside of a church in Hafencity saying,"It's temporary! This is what Urban Designers can do. . . " The framing on this couldn't have been better if I tried.


My attempt to draw from photo.
Hamburg's main strip had this weird Las Vegas meets Gatlinburg, TN vibe, with some strange sex thing thrown in for good measure. Lots of doughy, pasty Germans. Not very many good things to say about the main drag. The side streets were much better and friendlier.
City Hall in Hamburg.
GIANT spider outside of art museum.
So I drew it.

Energy sources in Germany.




Church in Northern Germany.
Did I mention I am taking a class that requires sketching?
On to Colonge. Minus the rain, it is a lovely city. The Kolner Dom is in the distance. Amazing cathedral. Again, I was brought to tears. Keep in mind I balled like a baby at the Lion King. It's all about perspective here, folks.

We checked out the Kulmba Museum as well which was designed by Peter Zumthor. The facade integrates the church's ruins (that were created during WWII); a very mindful and successful blend of new and old.
This is the view from the inside.

Part two of the long study tour to follow shortly. I must go watch a movie and eat popcorn now.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! It was worth the wait. I love your drawings and diagrams. I love the giant spider and the crazy signs. You do look smart in your glasses!

    ReplyDelete