Wednesday, April 11, 2012

EASTER

I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter. I know I did. Which says a great deal, because I usually feast at the Clark's house. Nichole makes some kind of great lamb or pork dish that we have discussed, in detail, for at least a month prior. Even though I really was not  a part of the cooking process, the Danes did not let me down. The list of attendees went as follows-
Me
Greta (my roommate)
Ripley and Beth (Greta's parents from St. Louis. As a side note, her dad designed the new Indy airport)
Inger (Jesper's mom)
Nina and Jesper (my host parents)
Karin and Alex (the much loved neighbors)
Caroline and Casper (Jesper's kids from a previous marriage)
Sophia (Nina's daughter from a previous marriage)
Henrick (Jesper's little brother)
and of course, Asta (Jesper and Nina's daughter)

Easter started a couple of weeks ago when a "secret" friend dropped off this adorable card for me with a poem inside. Each of the little circles represents a letter of the giver's name. I only have so many friends in Denmark so it was simple to narrow down. I could not have been more happy opening this card. All hand-made I might add.



I attempted to Google translate the poem from Karin's, let's just say 'script-like' handwriting. I ended up getting something about adultery and death. Figuring this wasn't the proper translation, I took it to Nina whom struggled as well. It turned out to be a poem about spring and gratitude. Much better.
So if you guess the giver of the card you get a lovely Easter present. Mine was an amazing box of chocolate.

On to dinner.
Sophia helping Asta with her present from Inger.
Asta being cute in her new sweatshirt.
Inger attempting to prep the deviled eggs with Asta around. Not easy.
The Danish flag is sticking out of the glutenfri (gluten free) liverpaste with mushrooms; there is also the deviled eggs with fresh sprouts, pickled beets, and ginger-candied pumpkin. All delicious.
Henrick and Casper's stylish socks. I didn't tell them how excited I was about all the great men's socks in this town. Thought it might make me sound funny. I still think it might.


Karin keeping Ripley entertained.
Skål!
Asta eating curried herring.
Another round? Why, don't mind if I do! I was on my third little cup of Schnapps when I thought it best to pace myself. I asked Karin, in an effort to judge how I was doing, how many she had had. She responded with 6 or 8, who knows! Skål!
This is the Danish version of Happy Birthday. So much cooler than ours. I love the harmony they reach about half way through. They were singing it for Greta, as she turned 21 on the 3rd. I have to admit that the Danes do a great job at making events special.
Casper, Caroline, Asta, Karin, and Alex (he finally got a chance to talk).

So the full dinner menu included: curried herring, white herring, herring filets, deviled eggs, pork roast, pork loin in a mushroom sauce, bread, liverpaste, more bread, cheese board, more bread. We also had three bottles of Schnapps. If you ask me nicely, I will sing you a Schnapps song when I get home;)


After dinner Sophia took us out for a spin in the convertible Volvo. She has been house-sitting for a friend's parents and has had a Volvo and a penthouse for two weeks. We talked many times about how hard it was going to be going back to her bike and small apartment.
(we are at a red light) Sophia was an incredibly safe driver. Especially considering how fast this car could really go.
Arne Jacobsen gas station along the coast highway.
Keep an eye on those Swedes. Always up to something.
We went by the penthouse to check on the little dogs! Oh how I love little dogs. These two were extremely entertaining as they chased squeeky balls around.
A little treat after their walk. I need two dogs.
We dropped by the gas station on the way back to the house. I have been meaning to get a good picture of this sign for a while. Easily entertained.
Sophia's giant Gucci sunglasses.
Caroline, Sophia, and Greta

It was a really nice holiday. We decided while drinking coffee after dinner that we needed to have game night. So next Sunday the kids are coming back over for a cross-cultural game night. I think I am going to teach them spoons and gin rummy. No Scrabble though.

Skål!














1 comment:

  1. I love your video and the gas station ad! Good to hear you laugh.

    ReplyDelete