Saturday, January 28, 2012

JAN 28

I am sitting on the couch this evening watching The Voice, the Danish version, with my host family. Last night Nina's daughter came to stay for the weekend. Her name is Sophia and she is a fun addition to the family. As a 21 year Danish woman she is way more mature than her U.S. equivalent.

I got to Skype with Tom for a couple of hours this morning. It was amazing to "hang out" with him. This is the longest we have gone without actual talking in at least 10 years. He is smothering Betty with affection and it seems to be working. She is taking a shine to him. She was cute on Skype this morning as her eyebrows would raise when I spoke to her. Of course it made me cry.

Thursday and Friday were spent in class. And by class, I mean outdoors in the freezing cold. The DIS motto is "Europe as your classroom". My fingers looked like little Vienna sausages after a day in -2 degrees celcisous. We went to the top of the round tower (see pictures below). We also went to the Black Diamond art meusum. Pictures not included due to copywrite laws and my breaking the rules by taking of the pictures in the first place. I am really into my classes so far. Of course, I have a ton of reading and drawing to do.

Today I made my family scrambled eggs and French toast. Sophia had it a couple time in the states and really liked it. I was grateful they love bacon the way I do. After breakfast we drove to Norrobro to visit Sophia's apartment. It was a two bedroom on the third floor of an old building. Which the Danes call the second floor. The first floor basically has no number. Between the roommate and Sophia they are forking out 8000 kronner a month. This equates to $1425. Now that I am writing this it doesn't seem that outrageous. Especially considering the costs in Portland.

Then we were off to the mall. Sophie lead us around to all the good shops and sales. The shoe/boot selection was amazing. There were also fur coat stores. Very different from Portland considering the fur store that was picketed downtown. There is a different pace in Danish malls. Things move a little slower. No one ever says excuse me though. Undskyld in Danish. It is very strange. They just stand there waiting for you to move or visa versa.

So here is the Danish I know so far. Hej,jeg hedder Meegan. Jeg er fra Portland. Luckily my family puts Danish subtitles on American movies. This helps a bit. The best is sitting around the dinner table making vowels sounds. Surprisingly funny.

Enjoy the pictures.
Inside the Round House walking back down.
View from the top of the Round House.
Black Diamond Art Museum

Sunset from the Black Diamond Museum.
Oh naughty dog.

Asta with magnifying glass.

Tarzan on my bed. Kitty.




1 comment:

  1. I would love to see a picture of the outside of the round house. Who is Asta again? I love Tarzan! I am so happy you have him to cuddle. What a funny name:) There seems to be a lot of shopping going on there missy! I better send you some money soon. Love you.

    ReplyDelete