Thursday, February 23, 2012

Study Trip - Day 2

Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012

After a great breakfast we depart Aalborg for Gug Kirke, which is a church designed strictly as a Lutheran church without catholic influence.  It is a fine example of beton brute or raw brutal concrete. (Little known fact about me, my great-grandfather was a Lutheran minister). All the concrete would seem really cold, but the lighting made it wonderful and peaceful.
Exterior of Gug Kirke
With the lights off.
With lights on.
Pulpit.
The metal pipes coming from the wall are the heating ducts. The angel is from the U.N.
We do journal line-ups every few days. Everyone throws their journal down and we check out each others' art work. This is one of my favorite things to do. It is very inspiring to see what people are up to, and how they see our shared experience.
This is the Utzon Center (he deisgned the Sydney Opera House). I have to say, this building was so ugly from the outside, but inside was a whole different story. The Center is used by architecture students as it has a wonderful library; by model builders as it has a fantastic workshop; and it also houses a collection of Utzon's design boards. You will see mine in a later blog post.
View from the Utzon Center.
Yep. That's a sail boat in the building. Utzon's dad was a ship builder, so the building has many of the same lines you would see on a ship.
As our group was leaving the auditorium, families were showing up with violin cases. I was downstairs when I heard the music. I went up to check it out and got to watch some of their recital. Talk about adorable. Tiny kids with tiny violins! Might as well have been a pile of puppies.
The photo above is a from Aarhus Råhus (City Hall) in Aarhus.I somehow only managed to get a few photos of this place. Oh yeah, I remember why: because I had climb another 15 stories worth of stairs to reach the top of the bell tower. ¤%&/!
The building was designed by Arne Jabosen, Erik Møllen, with orginal furntiure designed by Hans Jørgen Wegner. Most people in my group thought it seemed like a jail. I couldn't get enough of the place. I loved it. Minus the stairs, I loved it.
The lighting in this country rocks. Hands down, these people know how to do lighting. Oh yeah, that's right. Because it is SO dark here.
Hallway.
Self-portrait. Yep. I'm cold. Luckily, I had just climbed 15 stories so my heart was pumping.

FOR REAL! The ARoS Museum. The rainbow panorama was designed by Olafur Eliasson.
Notice my giant new scarf. I can't see my feet when I wear it.
That statue was asking for it.
The blog has stopped me from adding more photos, so I guess we are done with day two.

No comments:

Post a Comment